Is this subject available for acceleration? YES
VCE Media provides students the opportunity to develop knowledge of the media industry through a study of films, video games, television, print, social media and photography. Students will take this knowledge of the media industry and produce their own media productions (including short films), using school equipment (DSLR cameras, LED lights, microphones, audio recorders, tripods, etc).
This link shows a selection of jobs that have some relation to the subject of: Media
Unit 1: Media Forms, Representations and Australian Stories
- Students look at the role of the mass media and how it represents people, places and society.
- Students make a short film, through planning, filming and editing.
- Students explore key features of the Australian media industry (film, television and photography).
Unit 2: Narrative across Media Forms
- Students examine the styles of media professionals (film and television).
- Students make a short film, via planning, filming and editing.
- Students analyse the impact of digital media technologies on society (social media, smartphones, online streaming, video games and online journalism).
Unit 3: Media Narratives and Pre-Production
- Students explain and discuss how media narratives are made by directors across two films.
- Students develop practical/creative skills through video exercises (test shooting, lighting, editing etc.).
- Students produce a folio for a media production. This folio is the basis for their production in Unit 4.
Unit 4: Media Production and Issues in the Media
- Students produce a short film production based on their Unit 3 folio.
- Students evaluate the influence of the media and how audiences use and produce their own media content (including Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube and Facebook).
- Analysing a range of media texts (film, online media, social media, photography and video games)
- Producing media productions (short films and photography)
- Evaluating the role of the media in shaping society(s)
- Examining how audiences can now produce media content online
- Evaluating the role of the Australian media industry
- Year 9 Digital Media
- Year 10 Media
- Year 10 Photography
Unit 1&2 – A $20 charge is attached to this subject
Unit 3&4 – A $25 charge is attached to this subject
“Media” is considered a folio subject for selection purposes