Gladstone Park recognises the educational importance of Information and Communication Technology (ICT). We value its role in improving student learning outcomes and enabling young people to engage and work in a complex world that relies on ICT.
To ensure all students utilise technology across a range of subjects, the school has implemented a BYOD (Bring Your Own Device ) program. In 2024, all year 7, 10, 11 & 12 students are required to bring a laptop computer to school. Year 7 students will continue to use their device in years 8 and 9 as they progress through the school.
Please also see the School Policies Document for our Digital Learning Policy, which includes our Acceptable Use Agreement.
BYOD Program Rationale
- To enable all students to develop and demonstrate the knowledge, skills, practices and attitudes necessary to be engaged, robust digital citizens capable of shaping our future.
- To enable all students to have access to technology to support and enhance their learning opportunities both inside and outside the classroom.
- To ensure a range of options are provided that allow access to the program for all students.
- To provide ready access to a large variety of digital learning applications used across the school such as:
- Microsoft Office 365 (a range of applications including Word, Excel, Teams, PowerPoint and Outlook for student and staff access to Gladstone Park Secondary College email)
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator and more)
- Compass Education (Student Management Tool)
- ClickView (Access to several thousand videos, allowing teachers and students to access videos quickly, anywhere, anytime).
There are two options available for 2022 Year 10 – 12 students. Both options allow the College to:
- effectively connect the student’s computer to the College wireless network
- provide the appropriate supports for students to support their learning (e.g. software, printing, WiFi)
- coordinate onsite support if technical issues arise (this is only for devices purchased through the College approved BYOD portal).
Option 1 – Purchase a device through the College approved BYOD portal.
- On site repairs
- Option of warranty, layby or finance
- More expensive than purchasing direct from suppliers
Option 2 – Bringing a device that meets the School’s minimum requirements.
- School cannot provide on-site repairs or warranty, see supplier
- Could use a device you currently own or purchase a device that meets the minimum requirements
College Minimum Requirements for BYOD Devices
If you choose to bring your own device (option 2), the following technical requirements are needed to ensure the devices can connect to the College network; can function with the digital technologies used by the College; and provide access to all learning opportunities.
- Devices must have a minimum screen size of 11.3”
- Devices must operate with either Windows 10 or MacOSX (latest version)
- Have an advertised battery life of at least 8 hours
- Built-in camera
- Adequate internal storage capacity – 128Gb Minimum
- Adequate memory capacity – 8GB Minimum
- Identification of student details clearly labelled on the device for all students carrying their BYOD to school.
If you have any questions, please contact us using the school email address.