Is this subject available for acceleration? YES
In this subject students assume the role of a designer-maker. They will acquire and apply knowledge of factors that influence design. Students will safely use a range of materials, tools, equipment and machines to transform these materials into useful products, while understanding the importance of environmental sustainability.
This link shows a selection of jobs that have some relation to the subject of: Product Design & Technology: Wood
Unit 1 – Sustainable product redevelopment
- Sustainable redevelopment of a product – this unit focuses on the analysis, modification and improvement of a product design with consideration of the sustainability.
- Producing and evaluating a redeveloped product – students refer to their working drawings and scheduled production plan, and apply a range of techniques and processes safely to make a redeveloped product.
Unit 2 – Collaborative design
- Designing within a team – in this unit student’s work in teams to design and develop an item in a product range or contribute to the design, planning and production of a group product.
- Producing and evaluating within the team – students apply knowledge and skill, techniques and processes, including risk management, to make their own product, designed in accordance with the team requirements
Unit 3 – Applying the design process
- Design for end-user/s – students examine the product design process and develop skills in writing a design brief.
- Product development in industry – focuses on factors, processes and systems that influence the design and development of products within industrial settings.
- Designing for others – working as designers and applying the product design process to meet the needs of the end user/s.
Unit 4 – Product development and evaluation
- Product analysis and comparison – students examine design factors that influence the success of commercially available products.
- Product manufacture – this study focuses on the skills, production techniques and processes to make a product to suit the needs of an end user/s.
- Product evaluation – this study focuses on evaluation criteria, the performance of checks and tests, and gaining end user/s feedback.
- Investigating and defining
- Design and development
- Planning and production
Students may only choose one (1) Product Design and Technology subject.
Product Design and Technology – Wood is considered a folio subject for selection purposes.
Unit 1&2 – A $80 materials charge is attached to this subject
Unit 3&4 – A $80 materials charge is attached to this subject