Is this subject available for acceleration? YES
Visual Communication is a bridge between an idea and its intended audience. VCD covers 3 fields of design: communication (graphic) design, industrial (product) design and environmental architecture design. In the field of Design, visual communicators use text and/or image to communicate information. VCD students start with a design brief and go through a design process to develop a final presentation in response to the brief.
This link shows a selection of jobs that have some relation to the subject of: Visual Communication & Design
Unit 1 – Introduction to Visual Communication design
- Drawing as a means of communication – create drawings for different purposes using a range of drawing methods, media and materials.
- Design elements and design principles – select and apply design elements and design principles to create visual communications that satisfy stated purposes.
- Visual communication design in context – describe how a visual communication has been influenced by past and contemporary practices, and by social and cultural factors.
Unit 2 – Applications of visual communication design
- Technical drawing in context – create presentation drawings that incorporate relevant technical drawing conventions and effectively communicate information and ideas for a selected design field.
- Type and imagery – manipulate type and images to create visual communications suitable for print and screen-based presentations, taking into account copyright.
Unit 3 – Design thinking and practice
- Analysis and practice in context – create designs for specific contexts, purposes and audiences that are informed by their analysis of existing visual communications.
- Design industry practice – describe how visual communications are designed and produced in the design industry and explain influencing factors
- Developing a brief and generating ideas – apply design thinking skills in preparing a brief, research and generate a range of ideas. Experiment with media, methods and materials to create innovative design solutions.
Unit 4 – Design development and presentation
- Development of design concepts – develop distinctly different design concepts for each need, and select and refine for each need a concept that satisfies each of the requirements of the brief.
- Final presentations – produce final visual communication presentations that satisfy the requirements of the brief.
- Develop skills in industrial, communication and environmental design fields
- Technical drawing
- Experiment with new techniques
- Creative development
- Innovation and design thinking
- Explore new media and materials
- Studio Art – Art
- Studio Art – Photography
- Product Design and Technology
VCD is considered a folio subject for selection purposes.
Unit 1&2 – A $30 charge is attached to this subject
Unit 3&4 – A $30 charge is attached to this subject